While more importantly ingestions are accidental, be warned: there are some pets who discover that they just like the salty style of ice melts and can eat it straight intostraight away out of the packaging if given the chance.
The most typical problem seen when a pet ingests ice melts is abdomen upset or vomiting and diarrhea. In some cases, vomiting or diarrhea will be extreme and trigger concern for dehydration. Reckoning on your pet’s size, how a lot they eat and the precise form of ice melt, extra severe considerations can arise. Ingesting an excessive amount of of an ice soften can result in an elevation in sodium level, inflicting tremors and seizures. If the product incorporates calcium chloride, ulceration to the mouth may additionally occur.
Don’t let dogs eat any of the salt or any of the snow (especially the slushy snow) outside that may have been treated with an ice melt.
Wipe your pet’s paws as soon as they get inside with a damp cloth or baby wipes. Minimize paw licking until their paws are completely clean. This will also help minimize risk for skin irritation that may be seen from walking through ice melts
If you have a sensitive dog whose paw pads are becoming irritated, cracked or are bleeding from the ice melts, paw wax or doggie booties provide an excellent barrier to minimize risk to sensitive feet.
Keep all ice melt packaging out of paws’ reach.
Don’t let canines eat any of the salt or any of the snow (especially the slushy snow) external that could have been handled with an ice melt.